Monday, January 14, 2008
This is a hunt jacket made from a Suitability pattern. I made the Women's version. It was my first foray back into the world of sewing after a 15 year hiatus. A bit over the top for a first-time-after-awhile project, especially because it was more complicated than anything I've made before, but much easier than I expected. The Suitability instructions were superb, everything went together perfectly, and the result was more than I had hoped for.
This has to be the most worn UFO on the planet. I literally finished sewing on the snaps (the buttons are "temporarily" sewn on the front of the jacket) before throwing it on my daughter, who then leapt onto her horse and rode into the ring to win her class. An equitation class, where looks do count. I like to think that this jacket played a small role.
Anyway, no lining either, the pieces sit in one of my drawers waiting to be sewn up and inserted. A nice Bemberg fabric. It was wonderful to be able to make her a beautiful, fitted, lightweight jacket out of a lovely wool/rayon blend. Unless you go for top of the line, the riding jackets tend to look very stiff and be as hot as ovens. Even the expensive wool jackets are lined in polyester, unless you go very top of the line.
Now I have to make another for me because she won't let me wear hers anymore. And I need to make us each a dressage jacket. Grrr.
But first, back to my Timmel 2008 SWAP stuff!
Inspired by all of the sewists at Artisanssquare.com and Patternreview.com, I'm jumping (late) into the blogging thing. I hope to spend more time actually sewing than laboring over this blog and otherwise thinking of sewing, which hasn't been the case up until now, and hopefully this blog will be one handy place to track my journey.
For now, here are my SWAP Stage I and II plans, always subject to change. In fact, I seem to be moving towards V2989 for two of my tops (blouse and dress). The fabric spoke to me.